From version 1.0 to version 2.0
Version 2.0 was released on 27 January 1997.
Most of the changes from version 2.0 to 1.0 is to add some security
features to (at least) reduce the possibility of remote users tricking Pipeline
into doing something that you didn't intend for it to do.
- Fixed parameters. The modules that may
run, the "_path" values, and the
destinations for reporting errors can now be (independently) restricted
by enumerating the valid values. These can be listed in the pipeline.pl
file itself or in a designated file. Previously there was no way to restrict
these, and whatever was in the form submitted was trusted, which may not
be a good idea.
- Changes to configuration error reporting:
- Errors can now be appended to a file. Before, you could only send them
- A default place to report errors
to may now be specified in pipeline.pl. This comes into play if there
was no "_errorsto" field submitted
or it doesn't contain any valid destinations.
- There can now be multiple destinations for errors specified in the
- Error and warning messages sent from Pipeline now include more context
surrounding the message. The values of all the fields and environmental
variables are now included.
- The names of modules may now only include certain characters.
For module developers:
- A startmail routine is now available
to facilitate modules sending e-mail.
- Calls to die and warn now invoke the reporterr subroutine.